Friday, October 19, 2012

Hell

istock

Writing Circle exercise: One of your characters addresses Dante's Inferno, or more specifically their own brand of Hell. My character is a mother who has struggled with infertility.


There was never any doubt in my mind that I would be a mother one day and a good one, too. But month after month, a familiar ache in my belly burned deep and I knew that it was not yet meant to be.

Five times I carried a child for as long as my body would allow. Five times the dam was unleashed and my soul poured out rivulets of crimson.

Five times I lay on the floor weeping in what remained of my dreams.

Five times I died.

When Sarah came early but not too early – there was no word for it, for “miracle” would never seem strong enough.

She saved me. She saved my soul from hell.

But I could not, in the end, save hers.


by Allie
(c) all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment